Monday, April 26, 2010

Hair, Clothes...How much do you budget for these things?


How much do you pay for your hair?  Your kids hair?  Your husbands?  I usually trim my little girls hair.  Her hair has never really grown out.  She is 3 and her hair still has not reached her shoulders.  I haven't had a decent haircut in a while and am thinking of taking the plunge.  I used to do whatever to my hair...different colors, different hairstyles.  I was pretty courageous with it and now it is pretty much a ponytail a day kinda show around here.  I was just watching a show (don't even want to confess but it was...Jerseylicious...I know...I know....) and the girls looked to me to have some hair extensions and I thought .... hmmmmm..... Not as extreme as Jerseylicious mind you...but why not try something different?  I am seriously in a rut!  Okay, I probably won't go that route...just yet...


I am also in a clothing rut...Yes, fashion tips are are always welcomed!  Okay, so this is what I am getting to.  My clothing budget and hair budget have basically been .... zero (except Shampoo and Conditioner) and I need to get out of the ponytail, sweatpant wearing rut that I am in.  It served a purpose when my daughter was sick but now that she is running around the playgrounds I have to start looking more like an adult then a playmate...frankly, her playmates are better coordinated!  How much do you budget for clothing and hair? 


3 comments:

nicole flowers said...

I am a little strange when it comes to beauty items in my house. I have not worn make up in three years (minus my brother's wedding) my husband and I cut my hair off, I hate fixing it. I don't use beauty products and my husband is all for it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we are happy with no frills.

nicholaspaz said...

I really don't budget but when I need a little fashon update I find that there are great deals at Kohl's if you have a Kohl's card. They send you coupons all the time and Fri night/Sat morning they always have some sale going on. Also, places like TJ Max and Ross have stuff for reasonable prices. I don't live in FL so I don't know if you have these stores. As far as hair goes I probably get 2 haircuts a year and if I feel I need a style change I tell them to throw in some layers.

Unknown said...

In January, I bit the bullet and went and had my hair cut, styled and highlighted (this after a person in the store thought they were paying me a compliment that I was just like those hippies from the early 70's that never grew up. EXCUSE ME??) $200. Yeah, alot. Not frugal. But man, it made me feel so much different and better about myself. I've been back once (mid March) and will be due again in a week or so. The follow up is not so bad, $120 plus tip. Hubby goes to his tried and true barber of 20 years every 4 weeks ... $15. Kids go whenever and generally pay for their own since they like to have "special" cuts (read: expensive, time consuming). Oh, they are teens so I guess that may change things.

As for clothes, thrift store baby! I live in Lauderdale and there are some GREAT deals to be had ... not just goodwill either. Check it out, have a little patience and you will find some great stuff. I generally set a rule of $20 a month for that. Sometimes I go over and others I carry over so its a break even!