Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tips for getting your kids ready to go back to school

In 3 short weeks my little girl is heading off to Pre-K.  She was just born yesterday wasn't she?  I mean..I know it has been 3 years but how did it fly by so fast? Savannah is going to go to school...this is beyond my wildest dreams.  I actually spent this Sunday crying about it.  I grabbed the sales ads from the newspaper and started to cry thinking about how I would have to let go of my baby and send my little girl to school.  I know it sounds silly but the tears were happy tears mixed in with tears of fear and a little bit of sadness.  I have spent 24/7 with my little girl and now I have to let go and have someone else be responsible for her.

On the other hand, Savannah is beyond excited about school.  She wants to meet friends and do "school work" and the thought of having more books to read in a classroom is just thrilling to her!  Today, I decided that Savannah and I should create a calendar for the fridge counting down the days.  She wakes up every morning ready to go to school.  I think the calendar will help her look forward to school and not be disappointed when I tell her that today is not the day.

We have taken Savannah to meet her school teacher and will have another meeting with her the Friday before school starts.  Savannah will be able to see her classroom and maybe even meet some of her classmates.

We have started to do "school work" every afternoon so she can prepare for homework.  We take a book out so she can draw her observations of a project that we have made...I got this idea from Sid the Science Kid :)

I am not sure what else I should be doing...I think the one who REALLY needs to get ready for back to school is me though...I know that I need to get ready as much as she does.  I certainly do not want to take any of the joy and excitement from her..it is precious!  I want to motivate her and keep her as excited about school as she is today...but she doesn't know what school really is.  My hope is that by talking about school, doing "homework", meeting her teacher, checking out her classroom, going to her school ahead of time as we have and making our calendar will prepare her enough...and we do have a special trip we will making to the store so she can pick out her backpack...we are waiting for the week before school for this.  If you have any tips...I welcome them!

Disclaimer: I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms blogging
program to be eligible to get a HarperCollins book set. For more
information on how you can participate,
click here.

No comments: