Friday, April 30, 2010

$5 Frugal Friday for Others!

I have a challenge for myself and I am hoping you will join me in it this month.  I wrote about it over HERE.  Basically, I am going to put $5 aside to try and stretch as far as I can this month to purchase as much as I can.  I am going to work those BOGOs and my coupons to see how far I can stretch the $5.  At the end of the month I will take the food to my local food pantry. 


We got a little jump start on my challenge so I thought I would share (in case you can get the same deal).  I had some coupons I got off a tearpad a while ago.  They are for FREE Oreo Cakesters when you purchase Oreo Cookies.  The best part is that if you read the fine print the Oreo cookies only need to be 5 oz or larger.  So, we went to CVS and purchased the $1 Oreo cookies they have on sale.  These are perfect for my family when we go to the beach or have a picnic.  In using the coupon we purchased the box of Oreos for a $1 and received the Cakesters for FREE.  So, we are keeping the Oreos and donating the Cakesters...my total for the month is $0!  I still have $5 to spend.

I do know that some people may criticize and say that I am donating junk food.  My goal is to purchase items throughout the month that are not just "junkfood" but let me be a bit frank here...I love the fact that some child somewhere may be able to get a small treat one day when they get this box.  Maybe it will go with them in their lunchbag to school or maybe it will be a treat they will look forward to getting when they get home.  There is nothing wrong with this.

No comments: