Sunday, April 25, 2010

We should be frugal with our money but never with our Hearts, our Love, or our Compassion for Others - Sunday Sharing Featuring Project Linus

Image of Savannah courtesy of JessicaLorren.com

I remember being kicked out of my daughter's hospital room late one evening by her nurse.  I really liked this nurse she took such good care of my baby girl.  When you spend time in a hospital you start to recognize and at times even request the "gentle" nurses.  It was a very rare thing for me to leave my daughters side for any reason but this time the nurse convinced me to simply walk to the cafeteria and grab some dinner and bring it back to the room.  I couldn't imagine leaving her long enough to eat in the cafeteria for it was torture just to leave her side.  Her nurse said she would be by her side doing the evenings paperwork and would not leave.  Savvy, my daughter was asleep and I was hungry so I decided to go.

When I came back into the room I saw a cute little blanket draped on Savvy.  Our nurse looked up at me and said, "I was told to give this blanket to a special baby and so I have"...tears fell.  There was a small patch sewn into the blanket and it said, "Project Linus" on it.  This blanket is still cherished by my baby girl.


The Project Linus mission statement:


Project Linus is comprised of hundreds of local chapters and thousands of volunteers across the United States. Each volunteer and local chapter all work together to help us achieve our mission statement, which states:
First, it is our mission to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.”
Second, it is our mission to provide a rewarding and fun service opportunity for interested individuals and groups in local communities, for the benefit of children.
Together we have distributed over three million blankets to children in need since our inception in 1995.

For more information about this amazing organization please visit: www.projectlinus.org.


No comments: