Friday, September 24, 2010

$5 Frugal Food for Others Challenge

The concept of this challenge is simple...How much food can you purchase for your local food pantry on $5 a month?

Week 3 - This week I am adding a box of the Quaker Instant Oatmeal...it is on BOGO at Publix this week.

Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Assorted Varieties, 10.9 to 16.2 oz box,BOGO $3.89
-$1/1 Quaker Instant Oatmeal 9/12/2010 RP Insert (exp 12/31/2010)
-$1/1 Quaker Oatmeal 8/29/2010 RP Insert (exp 10/31/2010)

I did have two $1 coupons so the final cost for me was 1.89 for 2 boxes.  This is a favorite of Savvy for breakfast so we are keeping a box and giving a box.  The total for the week spent is 95 cents.  

Next week I still have $4.05 to spend for the month.
So far for the month we have - 2 bags of Macaroni and Cheese, 4 packs of Hot dog buns and a box of Oatmeal for less then a $1! 


Week 2 - I haven't gone grocery shopping this week...I will be heading out tomorrow...you see...I was a little {OBSESSED} with entering Blogmania giveaways and it through me out of whack...but heck....I WON a giveaway!

I won a 10 pack of product from Mrs. Cubbison HERE so I am tickled!


I do know what our family will be contributing to the $5 Frugal Food for Others Challenge this week.  We are contributing 2 bags of Kraft Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese....and the total price will be {Free}.  I got a coupon for a free product in the mail from Kraft First Taste...have you signed up yet????  Go HERE, it is free and you get coupons for free food ... it doesn't get better?!  I also got a coupon for $1.50 off so I will be purchasing 4 at Publix this week.  I will get 2 for free since they are Buy One Get One Free (BOGO) this week and I will purchase 2 for my family at a super price of $1.49 or 75 cents a package...so this week I am still at a total of ZERO dollars spent towards my $5 month contribution!  How are you doing?


Week 1 - bread ... hot dog buns to be exact.  4 loaves of it....and it was {Free}.

I shared the deal I scored this week HERE.  I was able to freeze 2 of the hotdog buns along with the hot dogs that I purchased but that left me with 4 packs...I don't have an extra freezer in the garage (maybe one day) so I did not have the room to freeze the extra buns.  Why let the buns go to waste?  They were {free} so my tally for the month is still $0 and I have $5 left to spend.
As a note -   Many food pantries do have freezer space or they will give it away quickly before allowing it to go to waste...contact your local drop off center and check to see if they accept perishable items in good condition...I think you may be surprised that many do.  You don't have to just donate cans of food...as I have mentioned before many are very happy to accept diapers, razors (you know we can get these nearly free if not free), deodorants, etc.

1 comment:

Dann Berkowitz said...

Check Craigslist for used refrigerators. It is very easy to find a decent fridge for around $100-$200. Having one in the garage makes it so much easier to stock up on a good bargain or when you visit the warehouse store.